Wednesday, May 1, 2013

   I've been reading Jon Acuff's new book Start.    I won't even attempt to paraphrase the book in this post (or any other) but basically it's about breaking free from "average".    I wouldn't consider it a motivational book or a self-help book.  There are no cutesy catch phrases and no "power of positive thinking".  It's more or less an "if you don't like where you are in life then do something about it" book.  I like that.
   So, in reflecting on what I had read the other day I asked myself " Kip, if you could make a living doing anything in the world what would you be doing?".   To which I promptly answered " I don't know."   
     I discovered that I lost my dream.   I know I had it with me but now I can't find it.  I set it down somewhere between changing dirty diapers and paying for college and now I don't know where it is. In fact I haven't seen it in so long I'm not real sure what it looks like.  I know for sure I had one though.  I used it all the time when I was a kid.   Maybe I wore it out or got to big for it.  I don't know what happened to it!   I will find it! I promise you that!!!

1 comment:

  1. Kip, I just finished it after receiving it as a gift from a friend who got it several weeks before its release at a blogger's conference. Love his humor and his down to earth message. The thing that has stuck with me since reading his previous book, "Quitter", is his advice to not necessarily try to discover what you were meant to do, but to RE-discover something from your past or your childhood that you can be passionate about. I'm still searching, wandering AND wondering, but it feels good to know that I'm not the only one and that it's a process. Good for you for recognizing that maybe you're not where you want or need to be. Turn the switch, bro! ;)

    ReplyDelete